After coming up with I what I wanted to have in the book, I split it into four categories.
The places: Original photos
As I wanted to keep it simple, I decided to keep the background white, but I put in a border too, so that it wasn’t completely plain looking. The border used was the same colour as the background of some of the screens in my app. This is how I set out my book:
This book will basically be a brief introduction to the app, and let the user understand a bit more behind it. It also gives the audience a taste of the emotions portrayed in the app too.
What is visual identity?
“Visible elements of a brand, such as color, form, and shape, which encapsulate and convey the symbolic meanings that cannot be imparted through words alone. In a broader (corporate) sense, it may include elements such as building architecture, color schemes, and dress code.”
(Source: Business Dictionary)
I didn’t quite understand what I a visual identity book was supposed to entail, so I searched up a few examples and here were my favourites:
After deciding on the places that I wanted in my app and what I wanted it to focus on, I looked at how I would go from one screen to the next. Rather than just dumping the collages on the app, I thought it’d be good to have an explanation of what I was doing and also a map to show the three different places.
I also needed to think about how one screen would transition to the next and how they would connect.
I used a screen for the map so that users could click on a specific place they wanted to view. From there I had two screens for each place, and placed them so that it’d be one screen of the inside then the next of the outside, and so on for each place. To distinguish the outside from the outside I used a light blue colour to imitate the sky, but also to not stand out so much.
After deciding that I wanted to continue with collages and the three places I wanted to focus on, I thought about how I would incorporate everything into the app.
First I took photos of the three places. As I wanted to encompass the feel of the places, I took photos of not only the outside and surrounding areas of the places, but also the inside of them too. I thought it’d be nice to show some parts which may not be able to be seen by everyone.
After many photos, I cut them up and created new collages of each place, one for the inside and another for the outside, so that in total I had six new pieces.
A few examples of some of the collages:
Even though the new pieces looked completely different to the original photos I wanted the audience to view these places in a similar way that I do, rather than just seeing them places as how they are.
After making the collages I took photos and edited them on Photoshop, so that they could fit into the Marvel app.
Book binding was fun, but it was rather difficult and my sample book didn’t give off the right feel, or showcase my work the way it wanted to. So after deciding that I didn’t want to bind my own book and instead make it with Blurb, I looked at a few layouts of books and magazines that I particularly liked.
I particularly chose these pages, because they’re very unique and they have a good layout of text and image. I learnt a lot from this research, as I realised that I don’t have to have all my pages exactly the same and that it’ll still flow nicely.
Some were full image and others had smaller images, which worked well. Others had text to the side or text on the image.
I would like to apply some of these techniques to my actual book and so now I just need to think about what layouts I’ll use for each page and what it’ll consist of.
1. the action or process of collecting someone or something.
“the collection of data”
2. a group of things or people.
“a rambling collection of houses”
When we were first told of the Collection project for CIP, I thought of a group of objects and so for the cover, I wanted to create something interactive which displayed this.
I used four sheets of paper and overlapped them. Then I wrote “Collection” on top, but in different fonts. After that I drew the different objects. This meant that individually the sheets of paper didn’t make much sense, but once placed in the specific order then the audience could read and see the full picture.