Movements: Folded Pager


The final outcome for this project is an A2 paper folded into an A5 zine that represents our chosen movement. I knew I wanted to have the word “DADA” across all A5 sides, so I drafted a few very basic mock-ups and folded them to see which one I liked the best. Out of the three, I chose the one that had the font the same size, but different angle. Although Dada contains a lot of seemingly random content, some consistency is nice, because it is what makes the pieces work.

Continue reading Movements: Folded Pager


Movements: Experiments 2

I wanted to look more at Ilia Zdanevich, because I really like his typographic posters. They seem randomly placed, yet it all works together really well.

I decided to have a go, but I wanted to use words that seemed like they didn’t make sense. For this used phrases from other languages, so that it’d seem like gibberish, but they actually make sense to some people.

I added lines and circles to give it more depth. I also changed the font and the spacing, which I wasn’t sure would work, but I liked my end result.


Movements: Experiments

After researching about Dada, I noticed that they do a lot of collaging. So I went around my house and picked up things that, as Kurt Schwitters says, were “rubbish materials”. This was basically bits of newspaper, magazines, tickets etc.

Collage3.jpgI looked at some of the artists from the Dada Movement again, and was particularly intrigued by Hannah Höch. Her collages are quite eerie, but I wanted to give a try at imitating her work. After collaging a weird piece, I also added some of Ilia Zdanevich techniques, since I really like his typography posters.


Movement – Kinetic Typography

Kinetic Typography – “the technical name for “moving text”—is an animation technique mixing motion and text to express ideas using video animation.”

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 15.55.32.png

We had to create a video in After Effects using ‘kinetic typography’ which would be based on the movement we had chosen.

The thing that I like most about the Dada Movement is that it rejects logic, reason and aestheticism and instead welcomes nonsense and irrationality. I was thinking about what to do in After Effects and what I wanted to show and my mind drifted to the alphabet. The alphabet is a set of standard letters that languages use, however if you do not know that language then it seems like gibberish.
So with this idea I decided upon a video that would show the alphabet.
I did each letter in a different size and made them appear one after another.
To finish the video I added a soundtrack of myself randomly clapping, and timed each letter to appear with each clap.
Here is my final outcome:

Collections – Blurb (Cover)


First of all, I looked at the previous lessons where we had experimented with different types of emotions to portray for our covers.

I still wanted to portray my work as an “organised mess” and I liked having a lot of different colours, so I made a piece of “random” brush strokes and wrote ‘Collection’ at the top.


For the back of the book I wanted to use the same effect too but not have it exactly the same, so I did a similar version:

Cover back.jpg

I did a whole sheet, because I wanted to split it into four, as you can see, so that each cover for each book would be unique, but still link to the next book.

Collections – Blurb Planning

After having a go at doing my own book-binding and creating my own book, I took a look at Blurb, which is an online printing company, that provides you templates, different styles of paper and books.

I thought that bookbinding was fun, but it didn’t turn out exactly the way I wanted it to be, so I decided to use Blurb for the actual book.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 20.47.05

I decided to make a ‘trade book’.

First I planned the content and what I was going to put in the book but I found it quite difficult since I felt like there were a lot of things. So I decided to split it up, and instead have four books, which would lead on, one from another.

Book Collection

Now that I knew what my content was, I just needed to plan my covers for four books.

Google Engage: Explainer Video (2)

We had our Google Engage crit, which I found to be very useful. I know that I still have to improve and make some changes on the screens, but it was also really helpful to hear feedback for the explainer video. I guess it felt really sad, and although I liked the message it gave, an improvement would be to end on a happier note. I think it was mainly the music that made the whole feel of the video, so that’s something I need to change, or at least the ending of the video.

After taking in the feedback and adding the changes I liked this outcome a lot more. I still kept a lot of the shots and basically the main part of the video, but it was the ending that was the most important, because that is the last thing the audience sees. I also changed a few of the texts and tried to change it so it would be feel more jolly and not so down.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 18.34.37.png

Here’s a link to the changed version: