On Tuesday we were split into groups and visited different studios. The studio I went to see was Studio Blup. If you check out their website, you’ll be totally blown away by their work, it’s all very unique and extraordinary.
We spoke to one of the cofounders, who showed us a few examples of their work, answered questions and told us how they first started. Although the studio is small, you wouldn’t be able to tell from the website, because it seems like a huge team is behind it, whereas in fact theres a handful amount of people. We also got to speak to the intern who gave us lots of tips about applying to places and what he did, which was very useful.
(The highlight of the visit was the adorable dog, which kept walking into the studio).
After researching a bit about different GIFS and the “Uncomfortable” series I looked into making GIFS of things that aren’t what they seem.
I first got this idea through my friend who was taking a video of us at those gyms in the park. One of my friends was resting on one of the equipments and the friend filming said that he looked like he had a jetpack on.
From this I took my own video of him, and when I got home, I tried to make it seem like he was using a jetpack.
Here is my outcome:
This was a long process, because I had to get rid of the background in each frame, and then add colour in and add in the “world” and the “sun”.
I like my outcome, because it’s quite comical.
The second GIF that I made was an invitation to my sister’s new place. She asked me to spread the word to our friends, so I thought what better was there then to make a GIF. I already had the idea in my head that it’d be an envelope opening and that the end result would be a house. So fusing these two together, I realised that once an envelope is opened it looks similar to a house.
My final GIF for this is not as spectacular as the jetpack one, but I still liked how it turned out; the opening of the envelope, my sister popping out, the invite and finally changing to a house.
As our group were looking into Helvetica Tape font, I tried a hand at making this.
I first started by printing out Helvetica alphabet, lower case and upper case, as well as the numbers and a few extra symbols. Then I cut these out and wrapped each letter in tape. I wanted to play around with this and as I have different types of tape, I decided to use them for the different characters.
After this was done, I stuck them in my book and took photos of them. From these photos I used an online tool to make it into a font.
Here is an example of the font in use.
However the online tool that I used changes everything to black and white, and I would have like to keep the colours of the different tapes, so I think I will search around some more for different online tools.
All in all, this experiment and trial was very tedious, but it was good fun, and I’m quite pleased with the final outcome!
Whilst I was researching more about one of my words “Use”, I decided to look at the opposite meaning of the word.
Antonyms for use: disadvantage harm hindrance hurt injury inappropriateness loss
I then started to think about things that were useless and remembered a series that Athens-based architect Katerina Kamprani made called “The Uncomfortable“. It is a collection of deliberately inconvenient everyday objects.
I like this series, because it’s quite comical, but also very clever. Even though the objects are “useless” it takes a lot of thought and innovation behind the idea.
The second practitioner that I really liked was Lizzie Finn. Her embroidery is really unique and I liked the way she connected everything together so that it was all a continuous line. Some of her drawings seem quite simple, but the way each image is connected really drew me in.
This actually reminded me of our sewing workshop we had on Tuesday, and I’m really interested to try this out, maybe drawing some of my everyday drawings in a continuous sown line.
On Tuesday we were supposed to have our rug tufting tutorial, but as the gun was broken we had a sewing workshop instead. This was actually quite fun and we learnt a lot of new techniques and sewing steps.
I think I will try out some of these techniques we learnt in my own time and see what new pieces I can come up with. Some of the ways were quite difficult at first, but after a few tries we managed to get the hang of it.
For our homework we were asked to make a gif from the collaborative drawing we did.
For this gif I looked at the collage collaborative drawing and tried a section of that. I found this a lot easier, because it was mainly just shapes. I decided to play around with this and the end result reminded me of a game.
For this task we had to go to the British Museum and do some drawings. This involved many people, lots of stares, paper, pencils, pens and tracing paper.
We were told to chose a spot and draw the room. I found this quite hard, because I’m quite a perfectionist, but during this workshop, I learnt to not focus too much on the tiny details, but just try and get the main parts.
For the Design Competition I decided to look into some posters to see what was being displayed and how in other places. I decided to check out this cool site: typographicposters where you can see a variety of posters from different countries and also search according to colour.
So as Group F decided on neon colours, I decided to view posters of that same colour palette. I chose out a few that stood out to me (but weren’t necessarily my favourite).
I like these, because they’re quite simple, but also very unique and would definitely capture my attention.
The three that I liked the most were these three:
I liked the layout and the shapes used. Also the fact that there was not much colour and very little variety of colour too. They draw the audience in with their well placed headers and catch the passer by’s eyes.