We finally had a workshop on how to use the rug gun and it was really good fun!
After each trying out the rug gun we had time slots and were able to do whatever we liked. As we had tried mostly straight lines, I asked James if it was possible to do curves like waves and he told me to give it a go. It was quite hard at first but I managed to get the hang of drawing waves (although they were still quite wobbly and not so neat).
What was really amazing was looking at the final outcome of everyone’s own pieces together!
(Not gonna lie though, my left arm ached for 2 days after, because the rug gun was a lot heavier than I imagined!)
Serena Wise is an award winning Art Director with a decade long career working with creative agencies and publishers such as Mother London, Spring Creative, VICE, i-D Magazine, DJA and ARPA Studios.
For this Hothouse talk we had the pleasure of listening to Serena Wise talk about her past jobs and roles.
Some things that I found really interesting were:
- Thinking in images
- Telling stories
- Being an art director – No day is the same: You were different hats
- The industry is ever evolving
- Try on different things for size
- Tell stories that reflect culture
I particularly liked her Tokyo Gen series for i-D which showed her working with different women in Tokyo. Despite the language barrier, it seemed like they made some close bonds as well as great work.
For this second project one of the tasks is to take a photo everyday and post it on our blogs, so I’ll be posting them in sets of 4.
After looking at my posters that I presented in the crit, although the feedback was good, I realised that a lot of refining needed to be done to them.
So I started on a new sheet, using the same concept, but this time with coloured string on the white paper, so that no paint was needed.
I also had time to sew in all the words, even though this took some time, it looked a lot better and I was happy with the outcome.
I prefer these posters a lot better, however there is still some work that could be done with the letters so that it looks even more proper.
For the 9 gifs I took the same patterns and sewed them on paper.
I used different colour thread and different thickness because I wanted different types of lines.
After sewing them, I took photos and made gifs from the photos. Some of them were made by removing different threads in Photoshop, others by taking a photo at each stage of thread removal and some of the gifs were originally filmed.
I’m happy with most of the outcomes, but I think I may revisit some of them and refine a few of the others.
For the trial run of my final poster I brought back the red biggie50 and a white A2 sheet of paper.
I wanted to highlight only a section of the patterns drawn, so I just painted the middle of the page. I chose specific areas of the patterns I drew and sewed them onto the sheet.
Although it was difficult to sew on paper compared to cloth, it was quite fun and I quite liked the outcome of these. It gave the poster a interactive feel, because I knew people would want to play with the strings.
I wanted to sew the words and information on as well, but I didn’t have enough time for that for the crit, so I decided to just write on how it would be sewn.
For the information I put:
- The word it was about
- My name
- “Featuring” the two people’s patterns I drew which I chose
After looking at the drawings and choosing the ones that I liked I decided to take it further by combining it with needle and thread.
In my sketchbook (as I only had white thread) I painted a few areas with the biggie50 red and then sewed on some patterns that were created in the drawings that people described to me.
I really liked the outcome of some of these.
As this was only a sample and a small section, I wanted to try and expand it to A2 and use it in my final poster.