Match and Mismatch (gifs)

We had a workshop with Russell, where we learnt about image sequences, to help us with our GIFs.

He went through a power point and showed us some examples, which helped give us an idea on what we could do.


Continue reading Match and Mismatch (gifs)


Rug Tufting

We finally had a workshop on how to use the rug gun and it was really good fun!


After each trying out the rug gun we had time slots and were able to do whatever we liked. As we had tried mostly straight lines, I asked James if it was possible to do curves like waves and he told me to give it a go. It was quite hard at first but I managed to get the hang of drawing waves (although they were still quite wobbly and not so neat).

What was really amazing was looking at the final outcome of everyone’s own pieces together!


(Not gonna lie though, my left arm ached for 2 days after, because the rug gun was a lot heavier than I imagined!)

Give and Take: Outcome Posters (2)

After looking at my posters that I presented in the crit, although the feedback was good, I realised that a lot of refining needed to be done to them.

So I started on a new sheet, using the same concept, but this time with coloured string on the white paper, so that no paint was needed.

I also had time to sew in all the words, even though this took some time, it looked a lot better and I was happy with the outcome.

I prefer these posters a lot better, however there is still some work that could be done with the letters so that it looks even more proper.

Walk the Line: Outcome (GIFS)

For the 9 gifs I took the same patterns and sewed them on paper.

I used different colour thread and different thickness because I wanted different types of lines.


After sewing them, I took photos and made gifs from the photos. Some of them were made by removing different threads in Photoshop, others by taking a photo at each stage of thread removal and some of the gifs were originally filmed.


I’m happy with most of the outcomes, but I think I may revisit some of them and refine a few of the others.

Walk the Line: Outcome Posters (1)

For the trial run of my final poster I brought back the red biggie50 and a white A2 sheet of paper.

I wanted to highlight only a section of the patterns drawn, so I just painted the middle of the page. I chose specific areas of the patterns I drew and sewed them onto the sheet.


Although it was difficult to sew on paper compared to cloth, it was quite fun and I quite liked the outcome of these. It gave the poster a interactive feel, because I knew people would want to play with the strings.

I wanted to sew the words and information on as well, but I didn’t have enough time for that for the crit, so I decided to just write on how it would be sewn.

For the information I put:

  • The word it was about
  • My name
  • “Featuring” the two people’s patterns I drew which I chose

Walk the Line: Outcome


After looking at the drawings and choosing the ones that I liked I decided to take it further by combining it with needle and thread.

In my sketchbook (as I only had white thread) I painted a few areas with the biggie50 red and then sewed on some patterns that were created in the drawings that people described to me.

I really liked the outcome of some of these.

As this was only a sample and a small section, I wanted to try and expand it to A2 and use it in my final poster.

Walk the Line: GIF Experimentation

I wanted to try out more GIF making so I decided to take photos of a process and make them into a GIF.

Inspired by the house party me and my sister held the night before and the tons of leftover food we had the next day, I decided to put everything we had into a wrap.

Each new ingredient I added, I took a photo and this is the end result:


I had 2% regret making this GIF and adding so much food, but it was worth it.

Walk the Line: Development

To help me expand my thoughts and ideas to the 3 words I had picked out I decided to ask people to tell me what they thought of the words. They described to me an image or what they first thought and I would draw down whatever they told me, without them looking at the paper until the end.


Some of them turned out exactly what the people were thinking of and others said I drew something completely different.

I think this task really helped me to broaden my view of the words, because I saw through over people’s eyes, rather than just my narrow minded vision.

After looking back at the drawings I realised that I actually really liked some of the descriptions people gave me so I thought that I could maybe take some of these further.

Walk the Line: Practitioner Research (3)

After seeing some of my work, James Hunting recommended two artists for me to look at: Michael Craig Martin & Gary Clough.

Michael Craig Martin draws ordinary everyday objects, but it’s the way he puts everything together that I like. Even his work without colour is really nice. It seems like fairly simple line drawings, but because of the way the objects are placed, it creates a new image. It makes all the objects seem as if they’re joined and they’re all interconnected so effortlessly.


Gary Clough’s¬†drawings are also quite similar to Michael Craig Martin, which is why I think James recommended me these two artists, as he saw some of my drawings were quite similar to their style. I like how he incorporates some of his drawings into a object, so that they have a border (like the drawing of the lungs, which was for Inktober and Stoptember) I also like how he adds dashes of colour and doesn’t go full on with blocks of colour.