Collections – Blurb (Planning)

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 21.55.30

Now that I knew I wanted to do four books and the rough content I wanted, I had to plan what would go where and what pictures to have.

Continue reading Collections – Blurb (Planning)

Advertisements

Collections – Blurb (Cover)

 

First of all, I looked at the previous lessons where we had experimented with different types of emotions to portray for our covers.

I still wanted to portray my work as an “organised mess” and I liked having a lot of different colours, so I made a piece of “random” brush strokes and wrote ‘Collection’ at the top.

Cover.jpg

For the back of the book I wanted to use the same effect too but not have it exactly the same, so I did a similar version:

Cover back.jpg

I did a whole sheet, because I wanted to split it into four, as you can see, so that each cover for each book would be unique, but still link to the next book.

Collections – Blurb Planning

After having a go at doing my own book-binding and creating my own book, I took a look at Blurb, which is an online printing company, that provides you templates, different styles of paper and books.

I thought that bookbinding was fun, but it didn’t turn out exactly the way I wanted it to be, so I decided to use Blurb for the actual book.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 20.47.05

I decided to make a ‘trade book’.

First I planned the content and what I was going to put in the book but I found it quite difficult since I felt like there were a lot of things. So I decided to split it up, and instead have four books, which would lead on, one from another.

Book Collection

Now that I knew what my content was, I just needed to plan my covers for four books.

Google Engage: Explainer Video (2)

We had our Google Engage crit, which I found to be very useful. I know that I still have to improve and make some changes on the screens, but it was also really helpful to hear feedback for the explainer video. I guess it felt really sad, and although I liked the message it gave, an improvement would be to end on a happier note. I think it was mainly the music that made the whole feel of the video, so that’s something I need to change, or at least the ending of the video.

After taking in the feedback and adding the changes I liked this outcome a lot more. I still kept a lot of the shots and basically the main part of the video, but it was the ending that was the most important, because that is the last thing the audience sees. I also changed a few of the texts and tried to change it so it would be feel more jolly and not so down.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 18.34.37.png

Here’s a link to the changed version: https://vimeo.com/217534317

 

Collections – (Development 4)

Next I had to think about the cover and how I would put everything together. I looked back on some of the sheets with instructions we were given, and particularly liked the cover which tied everything together with string.

For this I chose some fairly thick, sturdy paper, and a button, sewing it on and finishing it all of with string.

DSC_0819

Continue reading Collections – (Development 4)

Movements: Screen-printing (2)

Back home, after the screen-printing session, I looked back at my prints and I decided that I wanted to see what it would look like if the holes in the letters had been interpreted as well. So I took the letters that I had cut out, and used them as templates to cut holes in the prints. I did two versions of this; one had the hole fully cut out and the other took into consideration if there was a letter that overlapped.

Our of both of them I prefer the one on the left, where the cut-out holes did not overlap, because it gives the piece dimension and doesn’t make it feel as “flat”. It brings out one set of letters, giving it a foreground and a background.

Movements: Screen-printing

We were asked to create a design for screen-printing; something that involved two colours and that we could cut out fairly easily.

This is what I came with: DADA

It wasn’t until I started cutting that I realised I completely forgot about the holes in the letters, however after asking Sara for her opinion, she said that it’d still look quite nice with the holes filled.

I had cut two pieces, one for one colour and another for the other. The two colours I chose were an off-white/yellow colour and red. I saw these colours come up quite a lot in the movement, which is why I chose them. I think the off-white/yellow colour relates to newspapers too, something which was used in quite a few of the Dadaists collages and photomontages. I did about three prints, before the paper started ripping and getting too damp from the paint.

screenprint2.jpg

Movements: (Development 1)

DSC_1166 copy.jpg

After the letterpress session I wanted to try some more experiments, so I made my own letters out of cardboard. At first I didn’t really like the outcomes, since it seemed quite messy, but then after doing some more, I felt like it quite fit in with the movement. It didn’t seem too proper and neat, but rather it rejected the logic, reason and aestheticism of many artworks.

Here are a few of my experiments:

Movements: Grids and Layouts

For this workshop we were asked to explore further into our chosen movement. Looking at books and doing more research we chose grids and layouts from the movement to study.

For Dada I feel as if there isn’t a basic grid or layout that the movement follows, or one that is obvious to that movement. I decided to choose a few images, lay tracing paper on top and do different types of tracing techniques on them.

Grids and Layouts.jpg

The end result of was quite interesting: