The final outcome for this project is an A2 paper folded into an A5 zine that represents our chosen movement. I knew I wanted to have the word “DADA” across all A5 sides, so I drafted a few very basic mock-ups and folded them to see which one I liked the best. Out of the three, I chose the one that had the font the same size, but different angle. Although Dada contains a lot of seemingly random content, some consistency is nice, because it is what makes the pieces work.
I wanted to look more at Ilia Zdanevich, because I really like his typographic posters. They seem randomly placed, yet it all works together really well.
I decided to have a go, but I wanted to use words that seemed like they didn’t make sense. For this used phrases from other languages, so that it’d seem like gibberish, but they actually make sense to some people.
I added lines and circles to give it more depth. I also changed the font and the spacing, which I wasn’t sure would work, but I liked my end result.
After researching about Dada, I noticed that they do a lot of collaging. So I went around my house and picked up things that, as Kurt Schwitters says, were “rubbish materials”. This was basically bits of newspaper, magazines, tickets etc.
I looked at some of the artists from the Dada Movement again, and was particularly intrigued by Hannah Höch. Her collages are quite eerie, but I wanted to give a try at imitating her work. After collaging a weird piece, I also added some of Ilia Zdanevich techniques, since I really like his typography posters.
Kinetic Typography – “the technical name for “moving text”—is an animation technique mixing motion and text to express ideas using video animation.”
We had to create a video in After Effects using ‘kinetic typography’ which would be based on the movement we had chosen.
The thing that I like most about the Dada Movement is that it rejects logic, reason and aestheticism and instead welcomes nonsense and irrationality. I was thinking about what to do in After Effects and what I wanted to show and my mind drifted to the alphabet. The alphabet is a set of standard letters that languages use, however if you do not know that language then it seems like gibberish.
So with this idea I decided upon a video that would show the alphabet.
I did each letter in a different size and made them appear one after another.
To finish the video I added a soundtrack of myself randomly clapping, and timed each letter to appear with each clap.
We had our Google Engage crit, which I found to be very useful. I know that I still have to improve and make some changes on the screens, but it was also really helpful to hear feedback for the explainer video. I guess it felt really sad, and although I liked the message it gave, an improvement would be to end on a happier note. I think it was mainly the music that made the whole feel of the video, so that’s something I need to change, or at least the ending of the video.
After taking in the feedback and adding the changes I liked this outcome a lot more. I still kept a lot of the shots and basically the main part of the video, but it was the ending that was the most important, because that is the last thing the audience sees. I also changed a few of the texts and tried to change it so it would be feel more jolly and not so down.
Back home, after the screen-printing session, I looked back at my prints and I decided that I wanted to see what it would look like if the holes in the letters had been interpreted as well. So I took the letters that I had cut out, and used them as templates to cut holes in the prints. I did two versions of this; one had the hole fully cut out and the other took into consideration if there was a letter that overlapped.
Our of both of them I prefer the one on the left, where the cut-out holes did not overlap, because it gives the piece dimension and doesn’t make it feel as “flat”. It brings out one set of letters, giving it a foreground and a background.
We were asked to create a design for screen-printing; something that involved two colours and that we could cut out fairly easily.
This is what I came with:
It wasn’t until I started cutting that I realised I completely forgot about the holes in the letters, however after asking Sara for her opinion, she said that it’d still look quite nice with the holes filled.
I had cut two pieces, one for one colour and another for the other. The two colours I chose were an off-white/yellow colour and red. I saw these colours come up quite a lot in the movement, which is why I chose them. I think the off-white/yellow colour relates to newspapers too, something which was used in quite a few of the Dadaists collages and photomontages. I did about three prints, before the paper started ripping and getting too damp from the paint.
After the letterpress session I wanted to try some more experiments, so I made my own letters out of cardboard. At first I didn’t really like the outcomes, since it seemed quite messy, but then after doing some more, I felt like it quite fit in with the movement. It didn’t seem too proper and neat, but rather it rejected the logic, reason and aestheticism of many artworks.
For this workshop we were asked to explore further into our chosen movement. Looking at books and doing more research we chose grids and layouts from the movement to study.
For Dada I feel as if there isn’t a basic grid or layout that the movement follows, or one that is obvious to that movement. I decided to choose a few images, lay tracing paper on top and do different types of tracing techniques on them.